Nocturnal Heroes (also known as Nighttime Heroes) are the primary protagonists and supporting characters of the series. This term originated in "L'école des Pyjamasques."
Nocturnal Heroes are superheroes that come out in the nighttime hours. Most often, they can be identified wearing bright colorful costumes either with animal, nature, nocturnal and astronomic themes. They also have a name that relates to the appearance of their costume.
- Crimefighters: Superheroes that protect the city and its civilians from the wicked acts of nighttime villains. Examples include Les Pyjamasques, PJ Masks, and Armadylan.
- Folkloric and Mythologic: The most common nocturnal heroes. They come in the form and representation of folkloric or mythologic characters, such as nahual, fairies, dragon girls and gods. Examples include Les Pyjamasques, An Yu, Bastet and Lilifée.
- Guardians & Protectors: Superheroes that guard or protect a location or relic from a specific nighttime villain. Examples include An Yu, Bastet, and Teeny Weeny.
- Scientists: Superheroes that have the secondary role as a scientist. Examples include Newton Star.
- Wannabees & Anti-Heroes: Superheroes that want to fit with the rest of the heroes, but they often lack heroic qualities. Examples include Les Mascrapules, Energuman, Tatouro and Armadylan.
Most of the nocturnal heroes exhibit superpowers such as originating from a source that is either magical or supernatural such as the Totem Animals, PJ Crystal Totem or asteroids. These power sources are either independent or are connected to their super costumes.
Some of the nocturnal heroes don't exhibit superpowers and are equipped with gadgetry and other equipment such as a Magic Flute, laser guns, super swords and hammers, while having martial arts, herculean strength and other physical abilities that are beyond those of normal beings.
Guardians & Protectors
- Most of the nocturnal heroes are magically-oriented and are associated with a mythology or folklore such as Les Pyjamasques' direct connections to the Nahual folklore, Bastet being based on the real-life Egyptian mythology of the same name, and An Yu being portrayed as an ancient dragon girl. While the rest of the characters are oriented towards science fiction and technology such as Energuman being a parody of Batman, the PJ Masks being a combination of Batman with other superhero characters, and Newton Star being considered a space hero.