The Sandman (known as the Le Marchand de sable in French) is an antagonist and one of the neutral characters in the Les Pyjamasques picture book. He is the magician/enchanter who tries to make sure that people in Tarabiscoville is asleep.
Motive & abilities
His motive is to make sure that everyone in Tarabiscoville is completely asleep, and will make sure that the job is done by strict means. He would also go after the Pyjamasques to try every in his power to put them to sleep, but this backfires horribly.
- The Sandman can blow a handful of moon sand that can make the person's eyes sting.
- He can summon sheep by simply snapping his fingers, then he'll order the person to count them.
- He can use instruments that can play an enchanted lullaby. However, he can use the instruments as a blowgun which will shoot tsetse flies that can sedate his opponent.
- He can hypnotize people by ordering them in a bewitching voice to look at his eyes and to go to sleep.
- He can use his wings to fly.
Personal behavior and traits
The Sandman can be quite enforcing on making sure that people will sleep in the night, but his patience will become thin towards anyone who refuses to sleep. Also, he has a temper whenever his sand gets stolen by someone, as seen in "Les Pyjamasques et le sablotin."
The Sandman wears a navy blue robe and a pointy hat with nighttime-like stars on it. And he has purple wings with yellow spots.